Public Speaking for Leaders: How to make the most of speaking opportunities.
A full day interactive training workshop for up to 6 people.
The course: In the increasingly electronic age we live in, the opportunity to engage, face-to-face with a live audience, is one that every leader should be capable and confident of taking. Public speaking is an excellent way to engage a community both within and outside of the organisation.
Senior executives that can prepare and deliver in a compelling and engaging way to an audience are very well placed when it comes to communicating in a range of contexts. Whether it is an Awards speech, an AGM, to external stakeholders, at one of their own conferences or to their industry, being an effective public speaker can make a crucial difference to an individual looking to help their organisation achieve its goals. In addition, developing your skills as a speaker can transfer positively back into how you lead your team, how you inspire them to think, act and do their best work.
Just what is involved in delivering effectively as a speaker, for example at a conference? What are the key tools and techniques that will enable you to make an impact?
This full-day session will share the key aspects of becoming a successful speaker. Whether you are just starting out, or if you’ve spoken a number of times, this Masterclass is your chance to:
- Understand your own approach to speaking, what you like and what you want to change
- Hear the fundamental skills and thinking used by successful speakers
- Practise and received constructive and supportive feedback on your performance
- Learn from each other by sharing experiences
- Leave with an action plan for what you’ll do next
Who it’s for: This course is for people who want to take their speaking skills to the next level. It is also for those people who know they could and should be accepting more invitations to speak. Each course is shaped to fit the requirements of the delegates attending.
- Goals: What impact do you want to have as a speaker?
- The four Ps of successful speaking
- Preparation: What will you say and how will you say it?
- Practise: When and how do you practice? The principles of effective practice.
- Performance: What to nurture and what to avoid.
- Speaker practise 1: An opportunity for participants to speak in front of the group.
- The key tools to manage your performance: Convey meaning and connect effectively.
- Practical matters 1: A checklist for what to do in the run up to the speaking opportunity.
- Profile and promotion: How to get the most from your speaking opportunity.
- Practical matters 2: Other than what you say, the key choices for effective speaking
- Personal confidence:boost confidence levels, before, during and after your speaker slot.
- Speaker practise 2: the chance to experiment with something new.
- Development opportunities for speakers: how can you grow as a speaker?
- Travel well: practical suggestions about presenting to international audiences
- Action plan and next steps: what will you do next to take your learning today forward? When will you do it?
- Goal review: how have we done against the goal you set for today?
Style of training
I work with content and an approach that translates into the real world. There is some ‘psychology’ included but the emphasis is on real applicable learning. The workshop has the following features:
- Tailored: relevant to the challenges and opportunities that the team are looking at.
- Real world: content geared towards learning that leads to results.
- Action oriented: focuses on a set of practical actions for presentation success.
- Practise driven: the participants are involved in the session and able to test and experiment in a safe environment.
Feedback from delegates who have attended my Public Speaking for Leaders workshop
“A day well spent in which I relearnt things I had forgotten and gained valuable new insights and practical ways to improve. A very enjoyable course and John is an excellent trainer.” Technical Manager
“I found this masterclass very helpful – there was a ton of practical tips which I can use to improve my skills. Thank you so much!” Chief Executive Officer
“An inspiring and content-rich one-day masterclass. Definitely more about engaging with your experience and humanity with an audience and their experience and humanity. In a sometimes (not to say often) divisive world, it seems more crucial than ever!” Chief Executive
“Brilliant content, brilliantly delivered – the course has given me the confidence and tools I need to take my public speaking to the next level.” Head of Communications and Marketing
“Despite being initially apprehensive about having to present to the group, I really enjoyed the masterclass and found John knowledgeable, supportive and enthusiastic. I look forward to putting what I have learnt into practice.” Professional Development Manager
“I would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to improve their public speaking, whatever level of experience they may have. The practice sessions were conducted with sensitivity to our anxieties about presenting and constructive feedback was helpful for us all. John’s calm and professional manner created a great atmosphere for the group to develop their skills.” Programme Director
For further details or to book a session, get in touch